Looking for a challenging career with a reputable specialist company?
We have a fantastic opportunity within our business for an ambitious and talented Quantity Surveyor.
Due to continued growth, we are currently looking for a dedicated and highly motivated Quantity Surveyor with experience in the construction industry. The successful candidate must be QS Qualified, proactive and able to work as part of a team; hold Full UK driver’s license and have proficient use of IT tools (Microsoft Office).
We are seeking someone who has the right personal qualities that fit our Company values; someone who is loyal, resilient, innovative and professional. The company will commit to train and professionally develop the right candidate to expand their capabilities to progress within the company. Due to the diverse nature of our business, we require an individual that wants an exciting new challenge, work in a fast-paced, fun environment, and be a part of an incredibly successful team.
The role responsibilities:
- Review all new contracts and raise any issues internally and with the client and help negotiate T&C’s
- Attend meetings with senior members of the team to help negotiate all elements through to acceptance.
- Attend all pre-award, pre-let meetings (in person and virtual)
- Review all project information pre-start information and identify any changes in advance of project commencement.
- Monitor and record of any changes that occur during the project, and identify, prepare and issue early warnings, CE’s when needed
- Agree variations with clients and acceptance of any changes in value
- Assist and support site staff in maintaining accurate records
- Visit all sites as and when required
- Attend progress meetings
- Carry out monthly valuations on all current projects
- Prepare and issue applications in accordance with client’s payment schedules
- Prepare, agree variations and be confident settling final accounts
- Assist with take offs on new tenders
- Work closely with project team to enable perfect project delivery and success.
- Generally, assist the commercial department and protect the company’s commercial interests
- Qualified in Quantity Surveying.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in the industry, including visits to site.
- Proficient use of IT (Microsoft Office, Excel, and bespoke packages).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Must be flexible to travel and work away when required
- Must be flexible and able to work as part of a team and using own initiative.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
If this role interests you please get in touch:
As a multi-disciplined engineering contractor, our range of contracted services, professional skills and industries served is incredibly varied and diverse meaning that we employ a broad range of full-time operational team players including:
- HSE approved divers
- ADC qualified dive supervisors
- Civil Engineers
- Civil Engineering Graduates
- Chartered Engineers
- Confined space specialists
- Skilled civil craftsmen
- Mechanical Engineers
- Commercial Diving Apprentices
- Civils Apprentices
- Training Coordinators
- Marketing Coordinators
- Technical Bid Writers
We are always keen to meet committed enthusiastic people who thrive on providing turnkey solutions for our clients in a diverse workforce. If you think you could be the next valued member of our team, please get in touch.
Commercial Diving Apprenticeship Scheme
We believe Kaymac is the only company in the UK to run a fully funded commercial diving apprenticeship scheme with a guaranteed job on completion. Kaymac has worked with local schools and colleges running the scheme for over 20 years, recruiting students for work experience each year and employing one apprentice every 2 years. This has proved a great success
, since it’s commencement, Kaymac has seen 10 successful apprentices through the scheme, with only 2 leaving to work offshore and the remaining 8 still with us today.
Kaymac’s commercial diving apprenticeship scheme started in 1998 with our first ever apprentice, Alan Byrne. Alan started as an apprentice fitter with Kaymac in April 1998, aged just 17. 22 years on and Alan is now married with two children and is still working for Kaymac today as our Dive Superintendent. Here are Alan’s thoughts on the diving qualifications scheme:
“It’s worked for me; 22 years on and I’m still happily working all over the UK as a dive superintendent for Kaymac. Not one day is the same being a diver. My career development has been vast with support from Kaymac, gaining hands-on experience from the beginning with the diving qualifications and throughout my career. If I hadn’t started the mechanical engineering and commercial diving apprenticeship scheme with Kaymac at the age of 17, I don’t know what I would be doing now.”
Kaymac works with local schools and colleges, taking on students for work experience each year. From this, we employ one apprentice every 2 years. The successful apprentice usually applies for the apprenticeship immediately after finishing school at the age of 16. Since the start of the scheme in 1998, Kaymac has had 11 successful apprentices, with only 2 leaving to work offshore and the remaining 9 still working here today.
“It’s a big step and one that requires total commitment, but the returns are substantial and marine/subsea work can offer an exciting and rewarding career”Gareth Crees, Managing Director
The scheme involves the following:
- 3 years’ Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship with hands-on training in maintenance of diving and civil engineering mechanical equipment
- Day release to college
- A 12-week commercial diving qualifications course in South Africa
- 4th year of apprenticeship with a dive team on-site for as a ‘baby diver’ to gain experience
On completion of the 4-year apprenticeship, the individual is then fully skilled tradesman Commercial Diver with 1 years’ experience. Kaymac provide full support, supervision and training for the apprentice in all areas of the diving qualifications.
Requirements for the scheme
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s of C grade and above to include Maths and English Language
- An interest in engineering
- A can-do attitude
Benefits of the Apprenticeship scheme
On completion of the commercial diving qualifications and mechanical engineering apprenticeship the individual is a skilled tradesman, skilled engineer, and is the appropriate person to undertake work tasks for a client underwater as a fitter and mechanical engineer working on their assets or project.
Earn while you learn
Apprenticeships enable you to start working and earn a wage while you learn key skills, gain the qualifications that employers want, and will be an advantage to you in your future in engineering. As your skills progress, your pay will too.
Whilst on your apprenticeship, you’ll be treated like a regular employee of Kaymac in that you’ll get a certain amount of paid holiday per year in addition to bank holidays.
Few diving contractors directly employ their divers. Usually, divers are self-employed and work for contractors as and when required. Kaymac is different; we directly employ all our divers and civil engineers on PAYE. Kaymac believes that continued permanent employment of its workforce encourages loyalty and provides confidence in the services we provide for clients who see reliable, familiar Kaymac faces.
At Kaymac, one of our core values is that we invest in our people, providing funding for everything from transport and training to dive suits for diving qualifications and personal protective equipment (PPE).
Some of the training we provide as standard is:
- H.S.E Commercial Diver Training
- Health and Safety
- Forward tipping Dumper
- Excavator Training
- Appointed Person (lifting operations)
- Confined Space
- Street works Excavation Reinstatement training
- PTS (Personal Track Safety)
- CSCS (Construction
- Construction Site Supervisor Safety Certificate
- Construction Site Managers Safety Certificate
- Environmental Awareness
- CITB Site safety plus