Embankment strengthening Ynys-y-Mond road Glais
Kaymac Marine & Civil Engineering Ltd were commissioned by Swansea City County Council to carry out embankment strengthening at Ynys-y-mond Road, Glais.
In general, the works involved:
- Constructing a temporary access road across the river and adjacent to the embankment to allow plant to cross and carry out sheet piling works.
- The installation of sheet piles in the river bed at the base of the slipped embankment to the depth specified by the client.
- The installation of an erosion mat to the upper level of the slope.
- Soil nailing into the slope to stabilise the ground and provide anchoring for the erosion mat.
- Construction of a mass concrete revetment at the base of the slope to be faced with masonry.
The site area comprised of a steep embankment which runs adjacent to and between the River Tawe and Ynys-y-Mond Road. There are weirs upstream and downstream from the proposed remedial works.
A rock causeway was put into the river, which enabled the piling machine to track across the water and into position. When the piling had been completed, the rock causeway was then taken up and used to restore the embankment to its previous condition.
The project was finished ahead of time and on budget.